Last Updated on July 26, 2021
The term “Last Day Prophet” is not new. Neither are those who call themselves such or believe they are prophets of the Last Days.
- Ellen G. White (1827-1915) – Last Day Prophet
- William Marrion Branham (1909-1965) – Last Day Prophet
- [A detailed account of Pastor Ed Byskal and his experiences with William Branham]
- Brother R.G. Stair (1933-2021) – The Voice of the Last Day Prophet of God
- Herbert W Armstrong (1892-1986). Said to be in the mold of Joseph Smith and Mary Baker Eddy. Many of Brother Stair’s teachings and phrases came from Armstrong. R.G. Stair proudly graduated from Armstrong’s bible courses.
- William W. Davies – Much like the above mentioned, Davies was so enamored with the phrase that he called his group the Kingdom of Heaven. He taught his followers that he was the archangel Michael, his two sons were Jesus Christ and God the Father.
- Marshall Applewhite – He decided he was one of “The Two” mentioned in the Book of Revelation.
- William Miller – Stated a sect and was a prophetic date setter to the emanate return of Christ. At least he made a public apology for his errors.
- David Koresh – Claimed himself the Branch Davidians Final Prophet. Like Brother R.G. Stair, he did many studies and reading in esoteric, cultic, and occult religions.
- Jim Jones – Jones, did what most End Time Prophets eventually do, he jumped over such prophet claims on himself and went straight to being god over his people.
- Wayne Bent – a.k.a. Michael Travesser with his Lord Our Righteousness Church (Strong City) in New Mexico who has been convicted of molesting girls. Wayne Bent believes he’s the Messiah which gives him the right to have sex with other men’s wives. Just like Brother Stair’s sexcapades. Many of his claims of himself are the same as Brother R.G. Stair has made.
The Great and Dreadful Day
The thinking is that the prophet Elijah will return before the great and dreadful day of the Lord (Malachi 4:5) to restore all things (Matthew 17:11). Many people believe themselves to be working in “the spirit and power of Elijah” today, although not claiming to be THE Prophet. Today, there is felt to be a need for restoration – a restoration of holiness, true Biblical doctrine, gifts of the Spirit, and authority. The Christian world is ripe for an Elijah to appear, as such, it is also susceptible to a false Elijah.
In fact, Jesus already declared THAT “Elijah to come” was indeed John the Baptist. Whom the unbelievers refused to accept as Elijah. Yet Jesus said that John “is Elijah, which was for to come” (Mt 11:14). Unless you are as the unbelievers than and you are unwilling to receive it (Mt 11:14).
Let us not make the same mistake by not seeing John as THAT ELIJAH spoken of in Malachi.
Out of Time
Anyone making claims to be the Elijah to come since Jesus walked the earth is too late. Unless they also want to do away with Jesus as the One to Whose way they are preparing (Mt 11:10). Certain men get around this by giving their Messenger-ness as preparing for Jesus’ return. Folks, Jesus doesn’t need the help of some special messenger so that He can return.
The Two Witnesses are enough to give us the timeframe of Christ’s return. Scriptures tell us of no Elijah that comes to prepare for His Second Coming – aside from clouds (Rev 1:17). These false Elijah’s are tempest-driven clouds without rain (2Pt 2:17; Jude 1:12). There’s your two-witness on them (Peter and Jude).
Jesus went on to say that all the Prophets and the Law prophesied until John (Mt 11:13) indicating that the Law and the Prophets are now done – they have ceased. And after Jesus fulfilled both the Law and the Prophets on the Cross (Mt 5:17) – they are now done away with certainly in the sense that anything more will be added to them or by them.
This is the one about whom it is written,
Behold, I send My messenger ahead of You,
Who will prepare Your way before You.’
For all the prophets and the Law prophesied until John.
And if you are willing to accept it,
John himself is Elijah who was to come.
He who has ears to hear, let him hear.
(Mt 11:10, 13-15 NASB)
THE Last Day Prophet
***Warning*** There IS a “Last Day prophet” that is coming…
And the beast was taken, and with him the false prophet that wrought miracles before him, with which he deceived them that had received the mark of the beast, and them that worshiped his image. These both were cast alive into a lake of fire burning with brimstone (Rev 19:20).
The prophet Isaiah gives us a picture of the Last Watchman. The Last Shepherd. Take heed to what he says:
All of them know nothing.
All of them are mute dogs unable to bark,
Dreamers [Ravers] lying down, who love to slumber;
And the dogs are greedy [strong of soul/appetite],
they are not satisfied [do not know satisfaction].
And they are shepherds who have no understanding;
They have all turned to their own way,
Each one to his unjust gain, to the last one.
(Isaiah 56:10-11 NASB95)